What is Self-Direction?
- A way to receive waiver services and supports where you are in control
- Self-direction is based on the idea that people with disabilities know their needs best and should lead decision-making about things that affect their lives
- You choose your own workers who support you
- You decide when and how you will receive the services your workers provide
What are my responsibilities?
- Deciding what services and supports in your Person-Centered Plan (PCP) you want to self-direct
- Choosing who works for you
- Managing your workers
Is self-direction right for me?
People decide to self-direct for a lot of different reasons, including:
- Wanting more control over their services and staff
- Wanting to purchase items with self-direction savings account option
- Not feeling satisfied with their current services
- Wanting to hire someone they know as a paid caregiver
More than 1 million Americans now self-direct their services. Your Support Coordinator will give you more information about self-direction through your waiver to help you decide whether it is the right option for you.