Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour course that gives people the skills to help someone who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. Alabama has over 90 certified instructors offering classes near you!
Mental Health First Aid is intended for all people and organizations that make up the fabric of a community. The course is an essential need and a benefit to:
- Staff at doctor or dental offices, hospitals, and nursing homes
- Professionals who regularly interact with citizens (such as police officers, human resource directors, and primary care workers)
- School and College faculty and staff
- Houses of faith and their communities
- Friends and family of individuals with mental illness
Trainees are taught how to apply the evidence-based five step action plan in a variety of situations such as helping someone through a panic attack, engaging with someone who may be suicidal, or assisting an individual who has overdosed.
Information courtesy of Mental Health First Aid